Airport Management Systems
Data Analytics for actionable insights on operational performance
Can your airport make faster, better decisions using data in real-time?
Challenges to airport performance
Today’s airports hold different data types and data sets like Airport Operational Database (AODB) used to feed passenger information systems, charging and billing, and for flight planning and more. It would be easy to think that tapping into this data repository and analyzing its contents for better airport-wide resource planning would be straightforward. However, most AODBs use old technology, requiring special interfaces to modern cloud-based systems. They give a static picture of the airport and offer limited opportunities to meet the needs of the ever-changing airport environment, with all its complexities and fluctuating conditions driven by unexpected flight delays and sudden weather changes.
To manage unpredictability, airport processes have built-in time buffers to allow for a level of uncertainty in the standard times used for planning, such as taxi times, in-block times, start-up approval times and so on. But this can hold back airports from truly improving operational efficiency, on-time performance and passenger experience.
Making operational data useful, in real-time
At many airports, Airport Collaborative Decision Making (A-CDM), built on top of an airport’s AODB, has been hugely successful, enabling stakeholders collect data from a single source of truth and work together to improve airside operations.
What if advanced data analytics was applied to the huge amounts of data residing in the Airport Operational Database? This would take A-CDM to the next level, enabling an even greater use of data across the entire airport, airside and landside. The possibilities for gains on performance, not just at the airport but across aviation, would be greater.
With Total Airport Management, our approach is to apply advanced analytics to the vast amounts of data collected from the Airport Operational Database, tower, gate and airfield to improve on-time performance.
Our offering spans
- Airport systems that enhance operational performance, addressing a spectrum of processes – from data management, flight information display, billing and baggage management to resource optimization, system integration and operational improvement to make collaborative decision making a reality.
- Advanced analytics solutions: Our offer focuses on Business Intelligence solutions using data analytics to enable the convergence of workflows across the airport to help stakeholders improve operational efficiency, passenger experience and control costs. We’re also exploring how to use historical data to predict and prevent abnormal incidences with respect to gates, airlines, ground handlers or other airport stakeholders. Our suites of modular solutions enable:
- Ground time optimization to improve situational awareness in real-time, optimize movements of all vehicles and stakeholders on the ground, and thus, optimize overall time and money spent from wheels down to wheels up
- Smart Gates that accurately predict arrivals and departures, by applying machine learning to historical data from our airport systems
Airport-wide gains on performance, costs and efficiency
Advanced analytics is a proven capability across many industries, but it has yet to be deployed widely in the airport sector. However, that is changing - according to a study by Frost & Sullivan on digital transformation at airports, about 50% of airports say they plan to invest in advanced analytics in the next five years.
Based on EUROCONTROL methodology for A-CDM value assessment, the implementation of advanced analytics to enable Total Airport Management using A-CDM could potentially save close to 20 million euros per year, or 6% of operational costs at an airport with 280,000 movements per year, which is the average for the world’s top 100 airports. The gains can be achieved by avoiding delays and flight cancellations, as well as improving operational efficiency.
With our advanced analytics solutions, airport stakeholders could benefit from:
- Greater operational resilience by proactively managing leading processes to reduce disruptions
- More predictable and more powerful ways to optimize operational efficiency thanks to better situational awareness, which aids better and faster real-time decision making
- Improved throughput and traffic handling capacity as resources are optimized and used to their fullest potential
- Reduced operational costs