The proliferation of smartphones, tablets, mobile networks and free Wi-fi has spawned an ‘always-on’ generation that expects an instantaneous response to requests for information. There’s massive pressure on media providers to deliver high-impact, visual messages with the utmost clarity.
Airports rely on visual media in a big way while engaging with customers. It’s crucial that airports understand and adapt to these new media challenges if they wish to succeed in the ‘always-on’ age.
A Content Visualization Communication system which goes beyond the display of flight related information such as flight summary, check-in, gate and baggage reclaim, Airport Systems FIDS can be driven dynamically to allow a variety of additional content such as:
- Retail information
- Security alerts
- Weather information
- Full HD video
- Website feeds
- Boarding and terminal information
- Directions/ way finding
- Immigration/ security lane
With staff information features such as interactive page selection, change highlighting, broadcast capability, and simultaneous display of up to 64 pages on the same screen or in rotation, it makes visual media management so much easier.
The Airport Systems FIDS also allows for efficient passenger flows through airports. This can allow for new revenue opportunities through the advertising that is displayed.
User-friendly display screen/ device management
- A graphical user interface provides a hierarchical view of FIDS devices and resources in the system. Users can add, modify and delete display screens and organize them into zones to represent the various parts of an airport or terminal. Network switches and patch panels can be configured and organized in the same way.
- The administrator can drill down through the hierarchical tree, and search for a specific device. It is also possible to manage specific items in a zone to:
- View the FIDS page that is currently on display at that location
- Monitor the status of display device
- Detect alarms raised location of failed devices
- Users can also easily control the display devices for e.g. assign a FIDS page to a display device, Sleep / Wake the display using FidsMon, force a display unavailable in the case of an intermittent fault. It’s possible to set a display into Standby (power saving) mode if the display supports it.
Easy, intuitive page design
- An intuitive What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get page designer feature allows non-technical users to define attributes (flash, color, inverse video etc.), techniques (wipe left/right, scroll up/down, etc.), column widths, fonts and general layout features.
- Users can easily reposition, resize and align the display information, or add text, graphics and video to the page.
- While users can view their edits in real time, the edited information appears on display screens only after the page has been saved to the database.
Message Broadcast, Emergency alerts and Visual Paging
- An intuitive interface allows users to create and broadcast messages to the staff and public. The system can send automatic messages to a PA system and trigger announcements for flight events such as fight arrived, boarding, gate change, etc. It is possible to set items such as:
- Message priority
- Flash time (i.e. the length of time a new message will flash to draw attention)
- Broadcast period (i.e. length of time the message will be displayed for)
- Paging zone (usually correlated with PA announcement zones)
- The system can also receive:
- emergency/evacuation messages from a fire alarm or building control system for display in identified zones, and
- receive paging messages from a PA system for distribution on FIDS message screens as Visual Paging
The alternate language field allows a second message to be rotated with the first in the passenger’s own language. A message may also take the format of a bitmap image as an alternative to text.
Message priority settings
Three levels of message priority are provided in a hierarchical order:
- Emergency messages such as evacuation for fire or security alert
- Flight announcements such as boarding or gate change (auto-generated by AS FIDS); and passenger paging announcements such as attend information desk to retrieve a message
- Standard airport information messages, such as security warnings about not leaving baggage unattended
- Improves the customer experience with complete visibility throughout the airport with accurate and up-to-date flight, baggage and passenger information
- Equips your airport to generate additional revenues through focused advertising at the appropriate locations within the airport
- Easy-to-use interface allows quick updates
- Fast implementation and training helps your airport achieves a quick start up system
- Improves the general ambience of the airport by adding visual graphics and images